Kratom study on animals relieves pain, aids opioid withdrawal
- Posted on: 2021-03-10
- Views: 281
- ▸ Kratom Executive Summaries
- University of Florida College of Pharmacy research is among the first that is non-anecdotal.
- Pain-relief, reduced withdrawal symptoms came without respiratory side effects, the research concluded.
- The study evaluated lyophilized kratom tea, or LKT, which contains more than 20 alkaloids.
- LKT is considered a pure form of kratom.
- Morphine-dependent animals showed substantially lower withdrawal symptoms, even at low doses of LKT.
- Other drugs used in morphine withdrawal such as methadone and buprenorphine can suppress respiration, even to the point of death. LKT, even in higher doses in the study, did not.
- “Kratom was very safe and did not affect respiration or coordination.” said Chris McCurdy, Ph.D., a professor of medicinal chemistry in the UF College of Pharmacy.
Original article Oct. 2020, University of Florida Health website http://bit.ly/Kratomanimalstudy