Congressman supports legal kratom
- Posted on: 2021-11-04
- Views: 39
Congressman Paul Gosar, R-AZ, recently expressed his support for kratom availability. On Nov. 1, he tweeted: “93,331 opioid drug overdose deaths occurred in 2020 according to NCHS, up 30 percent over 2019.”
- Kratom is being researched and shows promise of being used to treat chronic pain with less addicting potential than opioid based drugs.
- Dr. Gosar cited an article on the National Institute of Health’s Library of Medicine website: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28443503/
- The article outlines the use of kratom as a natural pain reliever, and to its successful use in opioid withdrawal
- The American Kratom Association (AKA), in an email campaign and on its Facebook page, asked followers to thank Dr. Gosar. Their link asks the reader to “Contact him to tell him you support his position!” It is re-created here, and links to the form on his website, https://bit.ly/GosarForm .
- On its Facebook post, the AKA says “Congressman Gosar gets this right.” https://www.facebook.com/Americankratomassociation/posts/2330687727067364
- The AKA encourages support from elected officials to oppose FDA bans and other measures that would limit access to kratom
- Dr. Gosar is a dentist by training, having worked in the profession until his election to the U.S. House of Representatives in 2013.